My son has me on the clock

I'm on the clock again today.

I'm used to that as a writer for The Dallas Morning News, but in this case, I'm not on a writing deadline. This deadline was created by 5-year-old son, Ryan.

Ryan has become fascinated with the timer on our oven at home. He wants to have a timer counting down everything, including my workday. So he likes to ask me how many hours until I will come home, and then he sets the timer.

On weekends, he also sets the timer for the time until lunch or dinner. He also sets the timer when I go out and mow the lawn and then lets me know if I get done in time.

This morning as I was getting ready for work, Ryan asked me how soon I was leaving. I said in about 10 minutes, and he said, "OK, I'm going to set the timer."

Then I told him I wasn't sure if it would take exactly 10 minutes, and he asked, "Why not?"

If only I could schedule my life this efficiently. I wonder if my editor would ever accept the excuse, "I can't do that story today because the timer is about to go off."

Popular posts from this blog

Want my feedback? I've had it with surveys

Humor Me: Truth in customer service

Humor Me: Calculating your very own heat index