'80s Flashback: Freddy Krueger

Friday is here again, so it's time for another '80s Flashback.

Before a word from our sponsor, here are the recent '80s Flashbacks:

'80s Flashback: Atari
'80s Flashback: OP corduroy shorts
'80s Flashback: Parachute pants
'80s Flashback: Rambo cartoon
'80s Flashback: Psyche!
'80s Flashback: Jim and Tammy Faye
'80s Flashback: Avoid the noid
'80s Flashback: Mary Lou Retton
'80s Flashback: One night in Bangkok
'80s Flashback: Adams Atoms
'80s Flashback: Don't you forget about me

This week's flashback is brought to you by the untied, high-top basketball shoe often worn by "headbangers" in the '80s. I had a friend who wore them all the time, with jeans and a black concert T-shirt. Even when temps hit 100 in Phoenix, that's what he wore. He had to kind of drag his feet as he walked so his shoes wouldn't fall off. I remember the sound of his shoes plowing through the gravel as we walked home from school.

OK. This week we remember Freddy Krueger, who first appeared in 1984's Nightmare On Elm Street. I was 12 at the time and my parents wouldn't let me see a movie involving a man with finger blades.

I saw it later, and several of the sequels. I'm not a big fan of horror movies, but Freddy was kind of the icon of fright back then. He had a sick sense of humor, and the idea that he could attack you in your dreams was really frightening. Especially for teens who fought to stay awake in class every day.

There was Jason and his hockey mask, of course, but by '84, the Friday the 13th series was already on Part IV and dying on the vine. Halloween and Michael Meyers was also into multiple chapters.

Another interesting tidbit about the original Nightmare on Elm Street: it was Johnny Depp's first movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Want my feedback? I've had it with surveys

Humor Me: Truth in customer service

Humor Me: Calculating your very own heat index