Coconut milk and flagpoles

As I was driving my 5-year-old son, Ryan, to school this morning, he told me this:

"Dad, I've heard that you don't like coconut milk."

He said it as if word on the street is that I don't like coconut milk. As if he has sources that are revealing secrets about me. Well, I'm not sure I've ever had coconut milk, but Ryan has become interested in coconuts since he saw one at a store.

"Mom said you don't like coconut milk," he said. "I don't like it, either."

"Oh, you don't like it?" I asked him.

"No," he said. "It tastes like a flagpole."

Like a flagpole? I'm not sure how this got in Ryan's head. But I figured this would be a good follow-up question:

"How do you know? Have you ever tasted a flagpole?"

Ryan said no. So I asked him, "How do you know what a flagpole tastes like?"

"I just know," he said.

So, I asked, "what does a flagpole taste like?

"Like a flagpole," he said.

I guess that makes sense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Want my feedback? I've had it with surveys

Humor Me: Truth in customer service

Humor Me: Calculating your very own heat index