Humor Me: The dog column (and how to get future columns)

I had expected to post a column today about my dog, Maggie, who is somewhere between the ages of 14 and 16. We're not really sure, because we got her from the shelter more than 13 1/2 years ago.

She was supposedly 2 or 3 years old then, which would make her 15 or 16 now. But we really have no idea, and looking back at photos of her (like the one here), I think maybe she was younger than we thought. She was full grown, but wild and crazy.

I didn't post the column because The Dallas Morning News decided to run it. It will appear on Sunday, and when it appears online, I will put a link in this post.

The Dallas Morning News used to run my humor columns weekly, but although I still work there full-time as a sports writer, I've only written humor columns sporadically over the last few years. I plan to write them more often now. I used to send out links to the columns with a mass e-mail, but most of the e-mail addresses people sent me are now out of date. That's also kind of a messy, impractical way to do it. Especially now that there are better tools for doing it.

For anyone who wants to read the columns when they appear, I've started a Twitter feed separate from my sports one. If you are on Twitter, you can sign up to get notified (it's free, obviously ... it's Twitter) when a new column is posted. Just click here:




Twitter is free and easy, and it's useful even if you don't want to send out Tweets yourself. You can just follow things you're interested in. (I know that for many of you, this is really oversimplified.)

If you're not on Twitter and don't want to be, you can also sign up to be notified by e-mail when a new column is posted. Over on the right side of this web page is "Follow by e-mail," and you can submit your e-mail, and then anytime a new column is posted, a link will be sent to you via e-mail.

You can always e-mail me with any questions, too. I really enjoyed writing the columns for so many years, and I always appreciated all the feedback I got from readers. The column I wrote about my other dog, Casper, back in 2007 was one of the most-read columns ever on The Dallas Morning News' website.

(Seriously, this is only the second time I've written a dog-related column in five years.)

Thanks again to everyone.

Popular posts from this blog

Want my feedback? I've had it with surveys

Humor Me: Truth in customer service

Humor Me: Calculating your very own heat index