Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Yearbook spell-check turns ugly

The spelling theme continues, and ends, with this item:

A computer spell-checker run amok christened several Pennsylvania high school students with new -- and in some cases unflattering -- last names.

Middletown Area High School's yearbook listed Max Zupanovic as "Max Supernova," Kathy Carbaugh as "Kathy Airbag" and Alessandra Ippolito as "Alexandria Impolite," just to name a few.


Pretty funny, at least if you're not involved. Back when I was a copy editor for the sports section, I accidentally hit "replace" instead of "ignore" during a spell check of a high school football story. Each instance of the word "Poteet" -- as in Mesquite Poteet High School -- changed to potato. (I did correct it before the story made the paper.)

Anyway, back to the yearbook story. I thought this was an interesting comment from the yearbook's publisher:

"It happens all the time, every year," Patrick said. "Look at any yearbook in the country."
Really? It happens all the time?

I'm just glad it didn't happen in my yearbook. I wouldn't want to be remembered as Matt Wino.